Saturday, October 17, 2009

Nostalgia, Courtesy of MySpace.


-This picture is from a show I played roughly 3 years ago, and God is it embarrassing. Yes, that's me in the middle.(Photo credits to Victoria Schwandt)

So last week I was a little bit sick, and it noticeably affected my performance. This week, I'm even sicker and so I wont be posting a new recording. I'll try and make up for it next week, I promise. But this week's blog post is just going to talk about my music MySpace page. I don't update it too much anymore, but it's definitely worth a look.

I started that page in 2006, and to be honest I haven't looked at the thing more than once or twice in the past year. Most of the music from that page is either from 2006 or earlier. It's really interesting to look back and see the things you've recorded years ago, and that's actually the main reason I started the page. One night I was looking through my files, and found a good 10 or 20 songs that were just me messing around and recording whatever I played. I began sifting through and pulled out a couple I thought were decent, and then posted them. From then I just sort of started posting whatever it was that I was doing at the time, and eventually grew away from it. However, the website still stands as a monument to what I was up to over 3 years ago.

The latest track posted, "Umami" I would consider one of the best ones up there. It's the only one featuring electronic instrumentation, and like the other songs I made it by myself, using up to 6 or 7 track layers per song. The beat in the background is a clip from a 20 minute keyboard session. I had actually recorded that session 2 years prior, but saved it in the wrong folder. I ran across it one day looking for something else, and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I cut it out, looped it 10 or 20 times and then started recording over it. From that point I just recorded tracks over that until I felt I had achieved a full enough sound.

It's really great to be able to go back and look at something concrete out of your history, because once you start to think about a certain time memories flood back and you kind of forget about the present for a minute. It's a lot like watching a home video, where you can't believe that that's actually you learning to ride a bike, but you know it is. It conjures up memories that are stronger than the video, and takes you somewhere else. So listen to some of my memories and take some time to think back to what you were doing, what you were interested in and most importantly what you were like 3 years ago.

Check out the site, leave me some feedback and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. This is funny! I know exactly what you mean. It does feel great to look back on history once in a while and see how much you've grown since then. I can relate to that because of an old picture one of my friends tagged me in on facebook a couple weeks ago. It was a picture of me and two of my best friends back in seventh grade. At first I was disgusted at the picture because of how young and cheesy the three of us looked, and I even wanted the picture to be removed. But after a few comment posts, and a bit of reminiscing, I realized the good side of seeing that picture again. It made me realize how far my friends and I have come from being childish seventh graders, to successful college students. It also brought me a lot of laughs by remembering many of the things we did back then.

    I know nostalgia isn't the real topic of this blog (haha), but thats what Igot out of it!

    ReplyDelete