Saturday, October 10, 2009

By The Way, The Red Hot Chili Peppers


(I highly suggest you scroll down and start the video before you read the whole article!)

This week's selection "By The Way" off of The Red Hot Chili Pepper's 2002 album is a personal favorite song of mine, and I am actually rather surprised with how well the recording turned out. Despite feeling a little under the weather, I'd like to think the vocal track isn't half bad.

I assume most of you know who The Red Hot Chili Peppers are, but for those of you who don't they're a funk-turned-rock band out of California (although Anthony is originally from Grand Rapids, MI). They've become one of the largest and most world renowned acts out of America, and to be honest if you haven't heard of them you must have been under a rock for the past 20 years. If you haven't heard "By The Way", check it out here.

I'm going to take a minute to shamelessly plug Anthony Keidis(the lead singer of RHCP)'s autobiography Scar Tissue. This man has lead one hell of a life and really gives you a new understanding of both the music and lyrics of The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I've been completely enthralled in this book all week and its probably the main reason for this weeks song choice. If you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket, or a even library card, check this book out; it's definitely worth the read.

Now that I've sung this book's praises, I can blame it for almost making me miss this week's post. To be honest I didn't think this song would come together as well as it did, and with most of my time devoted to this book I had little time to rewrite this song. However with motivation in the form of 6 or 7 cups of coffee, I buckled down, got to work and produced a respectable piece of work. Let me tell you, caffeine is a hell of a drug; I produced this song in just 3 takes, which for a perfectionist like me me is quite impressive.

I hope you all enjoy my take on "By The Way", I can pretty confidently say that it's my best piece I've posted thus far. Let me know what you think!

6 comments:

  1. So there was nothing to do at work and I'm like "hey, I'll check out Brandon's blog"

    and I'm pretty sure I mentioned it yesterday but you're fricking awesome. I have massive respect for people who can sing well, and you have a great voice.

    Plus, you did a cover of MGMT's kids. That makes you my hero of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you should do Motion City Soundtrack's "This is For Real"

    ReplyDelete
  3. red hot chilli peppers rock! have you heard of a band called Emery??

    ReplyDelete
  4. i lied, i'd much rather hear The Killers "Are We Human"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for the Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" or "Road to Nowhere"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandon-
    This is so amazing. I think this is my favorite blog from the class. I can really see all the work and creativity you put into this, and that is awesome!
    I love this song, both your version and of course red hots.
    I really like your writing style. Its so cool how you talk about the artists, and give a remake of the song.
    Anyways I just really think this is creative. I have showed your blog to like 10 of my friends, and they all love it to! Many wanted me to let you know that they love your voice.
    So good-job!
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete